Start Here Start Here Start Here

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

thread the pages | book club meeting #2


we had our second book club meeting last week. i love being able to sit down and chat with ladies about a book that has literally left me inspired and depressed all in the same package. the unlikely pilgrimage of harold fry left me an emotional mess on so many levels, but was so amazing to me that i started to read it again. 

the journey this man went through, with his own faith and reasoning, to save his friend was an inspiring tale making me feel as though i wanted to walk to save someone's life myself. reading about his walk and everything he encountered made me feel like i was right there and when i put the book down {or, errr, my kindle} i felt years older through his experiences. 

here are a few comments from this past meeting:

It kind of made me want to go walk to/for someone myself!

I know what you mean Ashley! It had its inspiring moments

I got really emotional especially towards the end. The whole time I kept wanting harold or maureen say what they felt.

I think that's what's got my hooked,, the whole relationship between Harold & Maureen. It was sad & kind of painful, but it's what has me drawn into the story more

That one guy in the army pants who was doing it for his kids really pissed me off.

I really liked the style of writing, where it would go into the characters thoughts & past intermittently throughout the book. It keeps me interested

I loved when he was one with the road too. We were able to see more of his thoughts and past and I liked those parts of the story.
I also loved when Maureen was the narrative. I liked seeing what her thought process was and what her mirrored thoughts were to Harolds actions.

the next book on the list is 'she's come undone' by wally lamb. you can find it on amazon, but be sure to check your local library or ask a friend - free is always better!

if you're interested in joining thread the pages, please email me at afoxandawolf [at] yahoo [dot] com.






Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. i love books of all kind genres, but i am more to self-help and inspirational book. i am currently reading Jack Canfield's How to Get From Where You Are to Where You Want to Be.

    visiting u from Aloha Friday.
    -Honeybee
    http://herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's awesome that you have a book club. It's amazing (and depressing) how little pleasure reading I do these days. In grad school I was reading at least a novel a week, now I am lucky if it is one every 2 months or so. Yeesh!

    XO,Rachel @ With Love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love my book club! Though I hated the book we read this month! Ha! Just found your cute blog through the blog hop. I'm a new follower. Hope you'll stop by sometime!

    RebeccawithanR

    ReplyDelete